Saturday, June 25, 2005

form vs. function

*

*
As I've mentioned before, I keep my eye out for tacky souveniers for my kitchen whenever we travel. This is some of the latest loot. I've got a few spoon holders now...new york, texas, hawaii, washington dc...someday our grandkids are gonna fight over who has to take them (HAS to take them). Yes...tacky. But it makes me smile when I see them hanging next to the stove. AND they're functional. So there you go. I can always talk myself into something if I'm able to justify its functionality. That's the architect in me. Although, I'm just as much of a sucker for form over function as any other consumer out there. My worst habit yet is how quickly I give into eye-catching packaging. If the package has the right colors or a unique shape, I'll easily spend a dollar or two more over it's bland shelf neighbor. But I suppose you could chalk that up to the architect instinct as well. Afterall...Target saw something in Michael Graves. The Pritzker people didn't/haven't...but I'd venture to say the name Michael Graves is more of a household name than Thom Mayne...maybe even more recognized than Frank Lloyd Wright for that matter. It's all about marketability and Michael Graves makes really pretty buildings. Functional? Well, I guess that's for history to decide. My point is, I'm a sucker for it. I do have this can opener in my kitchen afterall. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it's sure groovy lookin!

No comments: