Monday, February 19, 2007

my little adventure

I'm back from the land of Martha! The not-so-subtle hint from my last post probably suggested what I was up to - and now that it's actually happened I feel confident enough to share. Yes, I was invited to tape a couple segments on the Martha Stewart Show. Won't air until April 5th (that's an eternity!), so there's plenty of time to set the Tivo. I met Martha. Showed Martha how I make bibs and booties. Yes, I (as in me, me ME) stood right next to the Queen of Good Things at HER craft table, in HER studio and demonstrated a few of MY crafty techniques. (Yes yes YES ...those are MY booties set up in the craft room!!!) Isn't that insane?

Now that I'm home, I feel like I did when I was eight - home after a much anticipated day at Disneyland, finding it hard to believe that the whole thing has already come and gone. Though there was less than a week for me to get too worked up, I still felt like a kid in a candy store. In addition to the Martha experience, there was New York City. And as if the city alone weren't enough, it was New York City during a snowstorm! Beautiful. Cold, yes, but beautiful nonetheless. The weather played a big role in the insanity of the trip as well - let's just say it made things interesting. Arrived an hour late to the taping because the roads were an absolute mess. Return flight was late leaving NYC, stranding my mom and I in Phoenix - which is nothing compared to my sister's flight which was cancelled, extending her stay in New York for another two days. (which I wouldn't have minded if I didn't have a hungry baby at home waiting for mommy's milk to ease his formula-fed tummy ache)
So, yeah ...you could say I'm just slightly amped. Amped, but sad that it's over. I can't even remember 75% of what I said during my two segments. Oh, and of course I'm now remembering all the things I'd intended to say, thinking of all these things I should have said and beating myself up for not warming up/loosening up until I only had a minute left. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, right? Despite all that, I think the one thing that will stick in my mind forever is Martha complimenting my work to my face. What else can a girl ask for? And as for the question on everyone's mind, What's Martha REALLY like? Of course she's not going to be anything short of delightful with me, a guest on her show, for the thirty seconds we have to chat between segments. But I can't help but think that the beyond-pleasant nature of everyone I encountered and worked with at Martha must be some indication of how satisfied these folks are with their jobs. Everyone was so nice - not superficially so, genuinely and truly nice. Made me want to work there! I want to sit in this room surrounded by every possible craft material and implement possible and create all day! I want to be around these kind of people all the time!
The timing of it all was completely crazy. Just weeks after having a baby! I couldn't stop the tears in the car on my way to the airport - sad to be leaving my boys (the 3-week old, the 3-year old and the 33-year old). And, of course, there's all that baby weight I had to carry with me on national television - as if the ten pounds television is supposed to add wasn't enough. But it was an experience I'll never forget. I wish there were a way for me to see the footage first. If it's really awful, I could just ignore mention of it and everyone won't have to see what a complete idiot I am next to Ms. S.

Anyway ...there's so much more racing in my mind ...but I think I still need some time to decompress. You'll problably be hearing more from me for months to come.

______________________________
UPDATE.....................Check out the videos:
Link to the Bib video
Link to the Felt Booties video

2 comments:

Jolene said...

I've been eagerly awaiting this post!!! So glad to hear you had a good time and that you're back safely! I can't imagine how nervewracking it must have been being late to the taping!!! Your poor tummy must have been in knots!

Can't wait to hear more! We're still so amazed and proud and excited! I think *somebody* needs to have an official Martha-viewing party on the 5th!

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

This is so cool. I usually watch, but missed your segment I guess! Bummer. Did they find you through your Etsy shop? How exciting. I can imagine how nervous you must have felt. I wouldn't have remembered anything I said either! LOL!