Tuesday, May 19, 2009

not just for the birds

I've been a little obsessed with birdcages lately. I have this vision of little flying elephants and giraffes in a decorative birdcage. I did a Google image search and found a slew of birdcages in all different shapes, sizes, materials and functions. Yes, functions. Apparently, birdcages are not just for the birds anymore. For example, check out this birdcage handbag by Maximilian’s Pet Shop:
And I don't pretend to be the first person whose ever thought of drawing birdcages. What is it about all those lines on a birdcage? I'm drawn to them. I want to sketch them and construct them. This print by Jenny Bowers and this fiber art by Tamar Mogendorff are so precious and give me so much inspiration.
Maybe I might even have to pick up an ornate birdcage of my own to fill with stuffed Buzzing Boggies. But there are so many to choose from! I love the hand constructed bamboo ones in the shape of beehives from China. But there is also something lovely and modern about these colorful metal cages from Rose and Radish:
Of course I could always just opt for some wall art like this eye popping piece from Wall Sticker Shop. As much as I love the idea of having sweet chirping birds in the house, I remember the mess they can make. And by the time you do all you can to keep the birdseed contained inside the birdcage, your lovely imported, hand-crafted, bamboo cage from Vietnam is all covered up. I think the only way to go would be a large outdoor cage in the garden. I think the birds would rather prefer the fresh air too.
Now I'm off to the drawing board (or sketchbook). But as is always my problem, too many ideas - too little time. I've been warned by the 5-year old that a mess has been made by the 2-year old while I've been sitting here daydreaming about birdcages. I suspect that dresser drawers have been emptied... his new favorite trick. So, before I can open that sketchbook I'll have to assess the damage and quite possibly spend the next hour sorting through clothes and putting them all back where they belong. But maybe I'm expecting worse than it is. Let's hope it's not as bad as I suspect. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally awesome to read a post about birdcages...seriously. I've never really thought about birdcages in such an arty way!!!

wall sticker said...

Nice wall sticker, are they removable?