Tuesday, October 19, 2010

tower of jacks

Every year it seems I craft up some new Halloween decorations to get this little house decked out. Ghosts, a pumpkin wreath and now my tower of jack-o-lanterns. And this one was SO on the fly. I was at Target looking at decorations and they had all these $1 jack-o-lantern pails stacked so that they looked more fun than the actual packaged decorations they were selling. So I bought a few and added a few that have been hanging from the rafters in the garage from years past. Simply drilled holes in the bottoms of all but the top and bottom pails. Drilled a small hole in the back of the bottom pail for the cord and then strung some LED x-mas lights throughout. (My guess is that the LED will not emit heat... so the hot glue that is keeping them stacked will not melt and there is not a concern with having the lights inside the plastic.) Oh, and I used a black pail for the top as a way to keep the light in. I didn't want a spot light shooting out of the top. This was a 20-minute project. So satisfying to finish something so spectacular in so little time. My intention was to put it outside, but it is a very uncharacteristic Southern California day today. Rain rain and more rain still. But now that it's sitting here in the house, I kind of like it. We'll see if I move it or not.

No comments: