Friday, January 12, 2007

reflection

It's an interesting time around the house - on top of the New Year and the promise of a clean slate, there's the impending arrival of #2 into our world. All the baby things are coming back out of storage, being washed dusted and assembled. Those necessities on the shopping list are being checked off one by one as we stock up our newborn supplies. And all the while, in the back of my mind, what I'm imagining are those first few magical weeks of adjustment. Learning how to be, now, parents of two. The first time around was complete insanity, now that I look back on it. We were absolutely nuts worrying about every little change in breathing pattern. This time, I think our worry will shift back and forth between #1 and #2 - is #1 getting enough attention? - is #2 getting the same kind of focus that #1 had? - is #1 adapting to the fact that he's not the solo center of our universe anymore? Yes, a whole new set of worries.



But as we get ready, there are also a whole bushel of images to look forward to. I smile at the thought of a boy in each of my arms, asleep on the couch. I look forward to seeing #1 take on the role as big, know-it-all brother. My heart melts when I picture the two of them holding hands as they run through the park. As with any beginning, there are those moments of anxiety and hesitation. But as I've learned from our experiences the first time around, once you're knee deep in it, those fears fly right out the door and you just adapt. That's what makes us unique as human beings, afterall, the ability to adapt to our environment rather than just wrinkle up and perish. Wicked Witch of the West sprayed with water we are not!

No comments: