Friday, February 13, 2009

Handmade Help - Victorian Bushfire Appeal

It's hard to imagine the devastation created by the Victorian bushfires in Australia and what victims of the fire must be going through. I came across Handmade Help - an organization that is raising money for victims of the fire. I'm always inspired by such efforts because it is coordinated by people like me - people who don't have the time and money to do it all themselves. I would like to think that someday I too can pull people together to have a real impact... strength in numbers, as they say. I decided to do my small little part to help and am participating the the Handmade Help auction. It's incredible to see people donating their handmade items to raise money for such a good cause. I encourage everyone to help by either bidding on some of the handmade auctions, listing your own items for sale, or just making a donation.

I listed one of my silkscreened linen pillows on Ebay and hope it can generate a significant auction amount so I can send it off to the Red Cross. If you've ever thought about buying one of my pillows, now is your chance to get one and contribute to a good cause at the same time. (I'll also mention that there are only a few of this design left! If you want a set, you are welcome to purchase the one I've listed on Ebay as well as one I've listed in my Etsy shop and proceeds from BOTH will be donated) All proceeds will be donated to the Red Cross. If you don't want a pillow - my feelings aren't hurt - but please consider making a donation: Australian Red Cross.

Like I said, I often think about what I can do to help those around me. Just open the newspaper and it certainly isn't difficult to find people in need. I find myself wishing I had Bill Gates-sized money so I could go out there and start charities and reach out to people in need. But when I see things like Handmade Help I am reminded that it's just an excuse to say I don't have a lot of money. It doesn't take money. It takes time. It takes dedication. Maybe someday soon I'll find my cause. There's no better time than the present. It's a time of change and I'd like to know that I am somehow, some little way, part of that change.

No comments: