Tuesday, March 22, 2005

planning my plot


*
I've been thinking a lot about gardening lately. Maybe it's because we've been getting so much rain here and the ground is just asking to be planted. Or maybe it's because our orange trees are all in blossoms and I can smell their citrus scent when I open the windows in the morning. Maybe it's simply because all the rain has turned weeds into trees and our yard into a forest. I definately want to plant some vegetables this summer. And herbs and flowers and tropicals. Ah, I have such a potporri of plant types growing. Last summer I planted sunflower seeds. They sprouted and grew. When the flowers died, I cut them and laid them on our outside table to dry out so I could collect the seeds for replanting. But the birds found them and when I realized this I thought - you know what, it's better for the birds to enjoy them. They must have dropped a few seeds here and there because I now have a sunflower growing right outside the kitchen window. And I can see that there are several flowers in the neighbor's yard as well. I will have to plant sunflowers again. I love the cycle that these last ones produced.
*
*
So I'll probably fall asleep tonight thinking about my big plans for the garden. Planning and plotting as I listen to the rain come down yet again tonight. I swear this is the most rain we've seen here in the 31+ years I've been alive.

No comments: