Monday, July 14, 2008

maybe


*
I guess I should have been a little more realistic in setting my goals and said straight out that weekends would not be included in "the next 26 days". Somehow, in my crazy head, I actually thought I might be able to include weekends. But, no. Too busy, too crazy, too kid-focussed. That's just where we are right now. The husband and I often reminisce on times where we'd eat when we're hungry (as opposed to, "Oh shoot! It's almost 8 o'clock and the kids haven't eaten - I guess they should have dinner... right?"), where we'd go where the wind takes us (not hindered by, "I have to go stinky poop RIGHT NOW!") and where weekends consisted of just sitting in the sun and slurping a mai tai. Sea World was a barrel of laughs yesterday, but, I think the husband and I would have had just as much fun with a pitcher of margaritas, chips + queso and a couple lounge chairs out in the backyard. Can't believe I sacrificed myself to prove to the kid that Shamu really and truly would splash everyone in the first few bleachers. That's just one demonstration of how much that little guy and I are way too much alike and often butting heads-

Him: "No, mommy, no one gets wet down there!"

Me: "Yes, sweetie, you'll get wet down there. Why don't we sit up there???"

Him: "I just want to SEEEEE if we get wet."

Me: "Ok, fine, we'll sit down there and we'll get soaked!"

Him: "Well, I just want to seeeeee if we get soaked."

Me: "Ok, you'll see..."

Instead of just giving in and saying, "Yeah, maybe you don't really get wet... how 'bout we sit up here so we can see if those guys down there get wet?" - I said, "Okay, I'll show you!" So the kid and I sit in row one, we get hit with the first wave, his little face turns to mine and it just about breaks my heart because I can see he's horrified. I swoop him up and start heading for the aisle when the second wave comes and hits me in the back. By the time we're in the safe zone, I'm drenched in killer-whale-salt-water. Nice. So maybe I'll stop being so stubborn. Maybe I'll let the kid have the last word. Maybe I'll stop feeling like I have to prove something to him. Maybe. You'd think I would have learned by now.

No comments: