Wednesday, February 29, 2012

surfboard mobile for a beach baby's nursery: decorating for your surfer baby


Here are the surfboards I mentioned that I was designing over the weekend - Now available in the OUToftheBOX Etsy shop.  We had a sudden cold rainstorm blow through our usually temperate neck of the woods, so working on this surfboard mobile gave me the sunshine I needed.  Do you like the beach balls?  I thought they added a fun, whimsical touch to a beach-themed mobile.  I transferred my designs onto poplar and I love the clean look of this light wood.  And for the sun, I added a hand-stitched, wool felt sun onto each side of a wood disc that is decorated in rays of light.


I think this mobile is very California in color and style.  Next up might be a more Aloha-inspired collection of surfboards... maybe even some pink hibiscus or plumeria flowers for a little surfer girl.  As you see in my color study, this was California from the get-go.  Frankie and Annette, Gidget, Beach Blanket Bingo... whatever you want to call it.  I'd like to do a color study of an image from "Blue Hawaii", though.  That would be fun.


With clean lines and the polished look of wood, this mobile would be a nice way to accent your beach-themed nursery or play room.  What little surf bum doesn't want to gaze up at these bright surfboards, beach balls and sun, dreaming about dipping their little toes in the sand or catching their first big wave?




No comments: