Monday, November 19, 2007

Hello Dolly!

From here on out, this little house is going to be a busy little workshop. The Wooden Dolls by Alexander Girard reminded me of how I've always wanted to make dolls out of wood. When I saw them gracing the cover of the Design Within Reach holiday catalog, I was instantly inspired. No, mine aren't going to be nearly as cool and graphic - nah, these are made for the kids. But they'll still be special. I've got a lot of doll making ahead of me, yes I do. Oh the ideas!

I often get e-mails asking if I make my booties in other sizes. Well, now I guess I can add teeny tiny to my sizes offered...


I struggled on the shoes for a bit. Spent several hours lying in bed in the middle of the night trying to figure it out. Initially, I thought the shoes would be made out of wood. But after a lot of shaping and cutting I decided it just wasn't looking like I wanted them to. Only after all that did it occur to me to try to use my bootie pattern at a much smaller scale. And that was it. I knew the second I started to pull the felt around her little ankle that I had finally found my answer. I love those moments of genius.

And, what kind of mom would I be if I didn't have dolls for boys in the works? Though, my son seems to be in love with this little missy just about as much as I am, I think he might like a robot or cowboy too. Busy busy busy! Now, time to make the stock for the Riesling Gravy I aim to make for Thanksgiving.

No comments: