Tuesday, February 26, 2008

fungi so fascinating

Why do I find fungi so fascinating? Me and every other Etsy artist seems to want to recreate this fungal miracle. As I've mentioned previously, we've had a lot of work done in the backyard -- which I've yet to post about. So we've got a lot of mulch down and following all this unusually abundant rain, mushrooms have been popping up like crazy. I've been wanting to start sketching them. But I'm not really one to drop everything I'm doing to whip out the sketchbook every time the inspiration hits, so this morning I poked around the yard with my camera to capture some of these marvelous shrooms. My instinct is to say, "Ewww!" and then pluck them out. Why is that? Somewhere along the line someone must have implanted in my mind that mushrooms are disgusting. But now that it's my yard... the mushrooms stay! They're NOT disgusting! They're so pretty! I absolutely, positively love them.

No comments: