Monday, May 15, 2006

sunshine, flowers & inspiration

The sun finally came out this weekend and we had a nice Mothers' Day barbecue. I love throwing parties. Especially out in the yard so the kids can run and play. We had berry coolers and rosemary breadsticks. Cooked up some teriyaki chicken kabobs and corn cobs on the grill. The kids munched on chicken nuggets shaped like cars. for dessert there was angel food cake, berries and whipped cream.



Most importantly, I think everyone had a pretty good time. The weather has been downright ugly for the past week, so it was nice to get a little sunshine yesterday. June gloom seems to have set in early this year. It's about this time that I really start to look forward to the crystal clear days of summer. Also pictured here are slippers I embellished with some flowers made of felt. After making them for my mom and my mother-in-law I wanted a pair for myself. I just might have to go pick up a pair in my size and sew on a couple felt flowers for me. My Mothers' Day treat from my guys included "Shopgirl" on DVD and a very intriguing book titled Julie & Julia -365 days, 524 recipes, 1 tiny apartment kitchen. I love the idea of this. Can't wait to start reading. It just might inspire me to take on a similar challenge. Here's an exerpt from the bookflap:

Julie Powell is stuck. Is she in danger of becoming just another version of the house-wife-in-a-rut? Her only hope lies in a dramatic self-rescue mission. And so she invents a deranged assignment: in the space of one year, she will cook every recipe in the Julia Child classic [Mastering the Art of French Cooking], all 524 of them. No skips, no substitutions. She will track down every obscure ingredient, learn every arcane cooking technique, and cook her way through sixty pounds of butter. And if it doesn't help her make sense of her life, at least she'll eat really, really well. How hard could it be?

And I just discovered Julie Powell's blog about the whole thing. It starts on August 25, 2002. Wow - what a project! I'm totally inspired. What do I want to tackle in 365 days? This kind of reminds me of [info]anamomda's project, "101 things in 1001 days". Yes, I definitely need a time-oriented project like this. Thoughts of it make me giddy, just giddy!

No comments: