Thursday, July 07, 2005

the dream is over

What is the story going to be 10,000 years from now? I imagine it will have something to do with the way a civilization imploded iteself into extinction. I don't want to say that infamous Rodney King line about "getting along"...I don't want to point my finger and make political accusations...frankly, all I want to do is hunker down and never leave the house. I don't understand why it is that we can't all exist as the same human beings making a life for ourselves on the same planet. Maybe it's just not in our nature. Maybe survival of the fittest is so deeply embedded in our instinct that we seek it by any means possible - even by turning on each other. I just wish it weren't so. I think John Lennon said it all...and I think his insight is why he's not here today.


God is a concept
By which we can measure
Our pain
I'll say it again
God is a concept
By which we can measure
Our pain
I don't believe in magic
I don't believe in I-ching
I don't believe in bible
I don't believe in tarot
I don't believe in Hitler
I don't believe in Jesus
I don't believe in Kennedy
I don't believe in Buddha
I don't believe in mantra
I don't believe in Gita
I don't believe in yoga
I don't believe in kings
I don't believe in Elvis
I don't believe in Zimmerman
I don't believe in Beatles
I just believe in me
Yoko and me
And that's reality
The dream is over, What can I say?
The dream is over, Yesterday
I was dreamweaver
But now I'm reborn
I was the walrus
But now I'm John
And so dear friends
You just have to carry on
The dream is over
If we spent as much time and effort believing in each other as we do our individual religions, politics, cultures, races, genders and economies (the very things that separate us and put us all on opposite sides of this grand game), what wouldn't we be able to accomplish?

No comments: