Monday, December 04, 2006

"C" is for cookie


I'm gearing up for some major holiday cookie baking. I had so much fun decorating the banana sugar cookies for my son's birthday party that I thought I'd decorate Christmas cookies this year. And then I came across this huge box of sugar cookie mix (just add water!) at Cost Co. Thought I'd give it a try - and prove to my son that "YES" I do have to bake the cookies first ...I'm not holding out on you ...there are no cookies ready-to-eat inside this box. So I baked up this simple batch and the results? YUM! These taste better than the sugar cookie recipe I've been making from scratch! Hmmm ...do I even want to know what they're puting in this mix? Nah - it's that time of year - who cares what artificial flavorings I'm consuming. I'll go organic, GMO-free, non-processed come January. For now, let's eat some cookies! The real test will be to see how the dough holds up for cutouts.

Most years, I like to put together care packages to send to friends and family who don't live nearby. A few cookies, a loaf of homemade bread, etc. This year I found some pretty boxes at Target which would be perfect for holding a bunch of colorful holiday cookies. So I'd better get baking! It might be nice to have a few late nights of decorating cookies while watching some of the old holiday classics on DVD. What's your favorite? I'm a sucker for anything technicolor, so I love "White Christmas". And I love "Miracle on 34th Street" - the original and the re-make with that cute little kid with the lisp. And what would the holiday season be without Charlie Brown? Gotta love "A Charlie Brown Christmas".

No comments: